Flickr user Hopefoote, Ambassador of the Wow has captured the most interesting photos of the Camouflaged Looper, a caterpillar that decorates its back with the petals of the flower it eats. The image above has three caterpillars, but if you look at her images below you can see single ones. I have never seen anything like this and if you look through the comments on each of the photos it’s just as fun to see her and everyone else geeking out over this great find. So impressive, amazing work!
Filed under: Art and Design
Made of drinking straws. By Kyle Bean.
Filed under: My favorite things
It’s funny how life can get in the way sometimes. Like most people (I’m assuming) I’m behind on all things holiday, but even beyond that I seem to be lost somewhere between last April and whatever today is. I’ve managed to sneak in some pretty great stuff since our last Friday post, so here are a few of my most recent favorites.
The drinking chocolate flight at Cacao in Portland for my b-day getaway. Add it to your PDX to-do list!
Book Larder, a community cookbook store. (I love this store for more than just the cookbooks. I’ll show you what I mean later.)
My favorite autumn accessory has been the moccasins I snatched up in LA.
Parasols hanging at Boat Street Cafe. Add dinner here to your Seattle to-do list.
Filed under: Gift guide
These are the guy essentials: things that every man should have. Yes, there are places for video games and the obligatory toolset, but things appear to have shifted, and really, these are exciting times for us gift-giving ladies. Today’s man is rugged yet stylish; he appreciates what’s cutting edge, but values the classics. Here are a few things that the guys of today should have…much of this based from observing and talking with my guys, so consider quality assured.
1. Areaware Magno wooden radio Handmade in an Indonesian farming village. For every tree used, a new one is planted. Stylish and sustainable. ($150)
3. Braun Analog Watch A reissue from the 70s, this watch is all about minimalism and sophistication. (Brother gets tons of compliments!) ($200-$285)
4. Wood Puzzle Who wouldn’t appreciate an interactive gift? Skip the video game and go analog. ($49)
5. Stanley Classic 8-ounce flask Utilitarian and still sleek. BPA free too! ($20)
6. The Hill-Side Selvedge Chambray scarf Fact: 4 out of 5 women agree, more men need to wear scarves. Do it. ($83)
7. Jonathan Adler’s Boom Box Match Strike Because a sense of humor is essential. ($42)
8. Wolverine 1000 Mile boots A faithful recreation of a true American classic. Rugged and sexy. ($340)
9. Labourerur waistcoat The finishing touch to a mans wardrobe. Dad loves the one he got last year! ($140)
10. The Hill-side handkerchief Every man should own a proper handkerchief. ($40-$55)
11. Piel Frama of Spain A brilliant (and oh so sexy) way to combine phone and wallet. A certified favorite. ($98)
12. Eco-friendly cork journals Another thing women can’t resist, a man who takes notes. ($10-$14.5)
The holidays are a great time to give the gift of basics! I’m talking about our go-to pieces: the ones we use most, the foundations of our style and routine. Often times these basics are the things we most long for, but getting them (for ourselves) can sometimes seem indulgent so they are easily swept aside or compromised. Investing in a silky-soft tee, a stand-out umbrella, or specialty skin care products shouldn’t be hard…but it is. This is precisely why going basic will help you shine this year. Trust me, she’ll love you for it.
1. T by Alexaner Wang Every girl needs a proper tee. Yes, it’s worth the price tag! ($81)
2. The Row curved-square sunglasses A classic yet modern shape that will get tons of use. ($325)
3. Truman Handcrafted iPad Portfolio Forget the masses, go for handmade. So basic and so sexy. ($100 limited quantity sample sale.)
4. Handmade Cooper bracelets from Etsy shop Orange is the Sun A casual pop of color is a must for every jewelry box. ($24 each)
5. Rag & Bone Newbury booties A great basic shoe that will work with everything, year-round. ($495)
6. Skin & Bones organic face cleanser Don’t forget the basics refer to skin care too! Handcrafted, organic, very special. ($40)
7. butter London in Yummy Mummy A classic color that’s essential for any polish collection ($14)
8. PAPERSELF faux lashes Intricate patterns cut from paper. Not an every day basic, but fun and flirty is a vanity must. ($19)
9. Body brush Handmade in Sweden. Perfect for pampering but best with regular use. ($26)
10. Luxury eye mask from Etsy shop Bib Bon Every girl should sleep with a mask, and this is the ultimate. (I have two!) ($35)
11. Josie Maran Argan lip treatment Keep lips kissable. No GMOs, parabens, pthalates, sulfates. ($18)
12. Color Wheel Umbrella No girl should be without an umbrella. Is there a better way to brighten up a rainy day? Nope. ($40)
Filed under: Sweets
Nigella Lawson on the cover of UK’s Stylist magazine. Unbelievably awesome.
[Image via Stylist]